Who we are…
ACHIEVE Fort Bend County is a diverse group of business, community and education leaders throughout the county whose focus is to provide an interconnected system of sources to reduce dropout rates and provide opportunities for those citizens without high school diplomas.
Fort Bend ISD, Lamar Consolidated ISD, Needville ISD, and Stafford MSD reading specialists identified 742 first graders from Title 1 schools who had major reading deficiencies. A project was identified to provide each of the 742 students 12 personalized books that matched their reading levels and interests. The books were given to the students prior to summer dismissal. The project, coordinated by ACHIEVE Fort Bend County, required funding and participation by many community members.
How did the ACHIEVE Summer Reading Program do? Check out the results:
1. 73% of the students who participated maintained or improved their reading levels over the summer months!
2. Research shows that most students experience the “Summer Slide” during these months, causing them to lose the ground they gained during the year.
3. This loss particularly affects students at the poverty level, as they don’t have the resources to continue their learning outside of school.
4. Instead, these students made GAINS due to the ACHIEVE Summer Reading Program!
5. Since reading level impacts all other areas of study, we know that these gains aren’t exclusive to reading. These children now have a much better chance of finding success in all other academic areas.
So what did we learn? If given the opportunity and the resources, disadvantaged children can shine!
Working together, we are making a difference!